I love August. OK, let me rephrase that - I love the things that happen in August. I don't like the muggy weather, being too hot, makeup sliding off my face and dressing for summer only to have the heavens open and more rain fall than it does in the rest of the year.
But back to the good part - August is my 'birthday month'. I love birthdays, not just my own but everybody's! I think birthdays are special no matter how old you are as they're a chance for you to show someone how special they are on a day that's just for them (and about 19 million other people...) I usually spend most of August eating three course meals with family and friends, having afternoon tea 'just because' and visiting as many people as I can.
This year I'm spending my week off having afternoon tea with my friend Joanne, going out to my favourite rock night with my favourite guy friends from work, visiting my grandmother in Derbyshire and visiting my lovely friend Elisabeth and her beautiful family in Surrey. Check out her parenting blog The Imaginative Nest. On the actual day my wonderful husband is taking me for lunch at Marco Pierre White in Newcastle. It's going to be a packed week! (I'm going to the dentist too, but that's not much fun is it?)
A few of my friends and family have been asking what I'd like for my birthday, which is on August 11th, so I've put together a little wish list.
1. Owl oil cloth purse. I'm desperate for a new purse but I'm very specific in my needs! It has to be cute - like 'cute owl' level of cute - and it has to be BIG! There has to be a space for coins, notes and LOTS of cards. It doesn't necessarily have to be owl print but I really like owls so it's a fail safe choice. Oh, it also has to have a space to slot my driver's license so it's visible without having to take it in and out (I still get asked for ID A LOT even though I'm in my 30s!)
2. 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' by Lynne Truss. As a self confessed member of the Grammar Police I'm surprised I don't already have this book, but I don't and it's widely and cheaply available so it's a good choice for people on a budget. Of course I'd love to receive gifts worth £100s but even I'm not that special.*
3. Body Shop satsuma body wash. I love citrus scents. I love to shower. It's a win-win gift! As a side note I'd like to add that I really don't need any more hand creams - I have enough from the various beauty boxes I buy to start my own shop!
4. Woodwick candle in citrus zest. I love citrus scents. I love candles. It's a win-win gift! (Am I sounding repetitive yet...?!) I also love Yankee Candle sparkling lemonade. Just sayin'.
5. No7 Lash Adapt mascara in brown/black. You know I'm not a fan of black mascara for a day time look so this has to be in brown/black as it's my daytime essential. I love this mascara as it really does let you build up your lashes without clumping. At least it does for me and that's all I really care about!
6. MAC Viva Glam IV. I've already asked my in-laws for 'Party Line' and this is next on my must have list. It's a lovely deep pink with sparkly gold undertones and although it's probably more of an autumn / winter colour I just know I'll wear it to death!
Is it your birthday in August? How do you celebrate? Let me know in the comments, I love to hear from you!
* This is a lie!